1. MandyStroyer avatar

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM, MandyStroyer said:

Well, I definitely have my favourite genres of music, but I also just REALLY love music. I'm always willing to give anything a try. Sometimes I don't like it, but often times I find myself introduced to something that I probably never would have heard if I hadn't been willing to try it.

I think alot of people probably say they "listen to everything" to make themselves sound more well rounded & interesting, when really they just look stupid when it turns out they only really know about 1 or 2 types of music.

2. eureeka avatar

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 4:45 AM, eureeka said:

you have to consider the people you are speaking with and as long as you aren't calling them out you aren't a douch..i think a lot of people probably say they listen to everything because they have no preference and don't really care about music(probably because they are just trying to be nice)..i've noticed when cutting peoples hair and coming up with topics to chat about that music is one of the main safe ones and i've never had someone say "eh, i don't listen to music" but i can tell when someone says i listen to everything and they do/don't. i learned in high that i was a music extremist and i liked music more than pretty much anyone I've ever met so to avoid looking like an ass hole i just remind myself that some people know everything there is to know about the chargers and i know everything about cream..i don't call anyone out for this reason because god knows i know nothing about football but if someone was like" do you like sports?" my response would be "yes" and if they were like "what sports do you like?" my further response would be "everything" if they were to further say
    "how do you feel about lacross?" i would say " i don't really know about that" because the only sports i know are football and baseball..most people listen to whatever the dj plays on the radio so pop music and popular rock music are like the football and baseball of music.."chillwave" "psychedelic" "dream pop" are a kin to curling or polo...im not trying to talk about curling or polo the same way non music lovers are probably trying not to talk about whatever music im into..

3. Clay Snot avatar

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Clay Snot said:

I only listen to Yoko Ono!

4. tonignosis avatar

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM, tonignosis said:

I usually, like Inky, say that I listen to alot of things. Being that I'm somewhat of a walking music encyclopedia, I really mean it when I say it. I love things from The Mills Brothers to Cannibal Corpse to Rob Base to Stan Getz.

5. ashley alford avatar

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM, ashley alford said:

i have a tendency to say that i listen to 'intelligent music' now
    something that takes effort to produce/arrange/write
    conjures complex emotions
    provokes thought
    exemplifies the human condition
    and so it leaves me open to possibility
    i just don't want to limit myself to any few particular genres
    there's always a chance that i'll enjoy something different
    so i suppose i have the capacity to 'like all music'
    but there's good reason behind that claim

6. BonnieBlowtorch avatar

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM, BonnieBlowtorch said:

I'm truly eclectic but I never say I listen to EVERYTHING. I just say I listen to anything that gets to me. That may be DEVO or Cradle of Filth or Conway Twitty or Kiki Palmer or Mozart. I think everyone has their guilty pleasures but shouldn't judge others for what they like. I'm guilty of not enjoying a lot of popular bands, they may not be for me but please don't throw rocks at my head for not liking Social D, Depeche Mode, Best Coast and the list goes on. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes. There are as many different ways as there are people.

7. ItsGonRain avatar

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, ItsGonRain said:

No way, people take their words for granted way too much and they should be called out for it. I especially hate when people say 'this song/album/artist is the best' as if music isn't subjective to the listener and if you disagree, you're a dipshit. I have a friend who does it all the time, it's like they don't get it. People are people though...

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM, inkboy200x said:

you know i hate when i hear someone say "I listen to everything except country", which is so stupid. I admit saying that statement once or twice when i was in HS, then i got into an old school country phase like hank williams patsy cline and such. But yea i know how you feel when someone says "i like everything", then play them some hardcore punk and they're like, "i dont like this". I try not to let it bother me much but i don't see it as douchy when you point out that they don't listen to everything. Me personally, when someone asks what i listen to i give a very generic answer like "I listen to a lot of things" lol.