1. Tetsujin 28-go avatar

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Tetsujin 28-go said:

If you are looking for a Valley-styled Tex-Mex restaurant, you will probably have to hit the east side. There are many small Tex-Mex restaurants/taco stands sprinkled in the east side. You can check the Austin Chronicle food guide and restaurant poll to find one closest to you.
    What's great about Mexican restaurants in the big city is that you get to explore regional dishes. For example, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants is Curra's Grill on East Oltorf with its cuisine from Coahuila.
    Places of note near the UT campus:
    Spiderhouse Cafe: I agree with Hey.Dude, it's a good place for coffee, but an even better place for live music
    Amy's Ice Creams: Great ice cream and frozen yogurt
    Conan's Pizza: Great veggie pizza, kind of small but lots of great Frazetta artwork on the walls
    Momoko: A little pricey, but great boba tea, coffee, and Japanese gift shop
    Vulcan Video: Specializes in cult, foreign, and classic films
    Your best resource for discovering what Austin has to offer is the Austin Chronicle. It's free, you can find it almost everywhere and it covers music, art, food, movies, etc. You can also download a pdf version from their website: www.austinchronicle.com/

2. ross_r avatar

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM, ross_r said:

I Love visiting Austin at least once a month.

3. Stay Crassy avatar

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Stay Crassy said:

WOO! Thanks, guys. Chuy's in north Austin was mentioned to me by a relative in New Braunfels. Will probs check that out too. Trying to limit going out to eat to about once a week, though, for the sake of saving money. Hopefully I can wait long enough between trying out all of the recommendations. :b

4. Scumbag Sean avatar

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Scumbag Sean said:

Oh snap, glad to see you made the move! All I know are tex mex places myself, though.

5. dinadlc3 avatar

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM, dinadlc3 said:

PS: if you find a place with botana platters let me know! I'm not sure anyone has them up here! Not a lot of RGV standard Mexican places that I've found.
    There's one next to the discount movies in round rock too.

6. dinadlc3 avatar

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM, dinadlc3 said:

Welcome to Austin! I moved here from mcallen 16 yrs ago & have loved it ever since! As far Mexican food, it depends on what part of town you're living in. in south Austin, w found la posada on wm cannon & westgate. There's also la mexicana on 1st. In the north part of town, there's Juarez on Mays in rr.

7. Hey.Dude avatar

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Hey.Dude said:

For BBQ, I would suggest Sam's BBQ on E 12th St.
    For Sandwiches, Food Heads on W 34th St
    I would suggest 24 Diner for late night eats.
    Halcyon and Spider House Cafe are good spots for coffee.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Phillip said:

I'm always so jealous of you Austinites! I would dearly love to live there.