Moderator

On-Site

Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM

You have a killer idea for something on-site at the FFF. It's eating you up inside because you have no one other than your dog to share it with.. until now!

Replies to This Posting

  1. RE: On-Site

    Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM

    How about a place to stash yr stuff? Like a coat check but of course, even in November we don't really need coats in Austin. Moshing with a backpack bites. I would gladly plunk down a coupla bucks to ditch it so I can get in the mix.

  2. RE: On-Site

    Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:36 PM

    lithographette wrote:
    How about a place to stash yr stuff? Like a coat check but of course, even in November we don't really need coats in Austin. Moshing with a backpack bites. I would gladly plunk down a coupla bucks to ditch it so I can get in the mix.

    I agree, I don't know how safe that would be, but having to lug around a backpack is torture.

  3. RE: On-Site

    Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:37 PM

    GIANT MOON BOUNCE FOR EVERYONE.

  4. RE: Dust

    Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM

    m.holz wrote:
    TH wrote:
    Any plans to better manage the dust this year? Last year was starting to feel like (shudder) ACL...


    I've put in a call to the weather gods and asked nicely to bring nothing but a sweet cooling breeze. Let's see if it works.

    In all seriousness, I know its something on everyone's minds so let's see what happens.

    ENOUGH ABOUT THE DUST!

    There are blogs about dust, forum postings about dust, snarky references to dustmasks, so on and so forth. Seriously people, this is a rock show, are y'all the biggest wusses in the world or what? Am I to believe that persons with full body tattoos and multiple piercings who stomp all over each other in the blistering heat of the Texas sun cannot deal with some dust!!!

    Perhaps all these complaints are from fans of the Orange Stage, although I do enjoy the quirkiness of Of Montreal, their mode of dress does suggest a certain amount of wussiness.

    However, if you are a Black Stager (we should create a caste system, yo) can it already, you are ruining our image

    In closing, allow me to remind all nonbelievers that the only individual who can actually do anything about the dust is our Saviour, The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

    So, if this is really a valid concern to you, meet up at Casino El Camino at midnight during the next full moon and sacrifice a virgin to him.

    "This mister strolls into some town

    This mister strides into some shitty township


    Like Moses

    The people like the Red Sea

    Like Moses

    The townfolk like the Red Sea


    My mistake, he does not stroll

    He does not stride

    He smokes into town, goddamn


    Like dust with boots on"

    --The Jesus Lizard, Zachariah

  5. RE: On-Site

    Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM

    DUST MASKS ARE FOR PUSSIES!!!.... come on kiddos, dont act like you dont have a bandana in your back pocket... this year, bandanas for everyone! its like the wild wild west, but with way better music! plus, you can always wash down that mud cake with a cold beer.

  6. RE: On-Site

    Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:36 PM

    In addition to clean(er) porta-potties, how about some hand-washing stations? I remember some were used during the Pecan Street Festival earlier this year due to the whole swine flu scare...

  7. RE: On-Site

    Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM

    lithographette wrote:
    How about a place to stash yr stuff? Like a coat check but of course, even in November we don't really need coats in Austin. Moshing with a backpack bites. I would gladly plunk down a coupla bucks to ditch it so I can get in the mix.


    i think this would help so damn much. i would like to bring a camera perhaps, and extra cash for some "rustic wear" and shit i buy, but i hate having to hold so much crap. oh well, i did it last year, i can do it again :)

  8. Getting In

    Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM

    This will be my third FFFF. It's the only festival I'd consider going to, and I've had a good time the past couple years. I have one major suggestion for improvement though - make the Saturday afternoon "check-in" process more efficient and organized. I waited in the willcall line for almost an hour last year (missing the Young Widows set fer fock's sake!) During this time there was a lot of confusion about who needed to be in which line (willcall vs. buy at the door). I watched numerous people skip right to the front of the line - either through an honest mistake or otherwise - and because there weren't enough festival staff on hand it fell upon myself and others in line to inform these people they had to go to the back of the line and wait for 60 minutes like we did. This situation, and my weakening beer buzz, lead to some tense moments.

    Great line-up this year. Hopefully I'll make it in time to see the Young Widows this year.

  9. RE: Getting In

    Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM

    shibanski wrote:
    This will be my third FFFF. It's the only festival I'd consider going to, and I've had a good time the past couple years. I have one major suggestion for improvement though - make the Saturday afternoon "check-in" process more efficient and organized. I waited in the willcall line for almost an hour last year (missing the Young Widows set fer fock's sake!) During this time there was a lot of confusion about who needed to be in which line (willcall vs. buy at the door). I watched numerous people skip right to the front of the line - either through an honest mistake or otherwise - and because there weren't enough festival staff on hand it fell upon myself and others in line to inform these people they had to go to the back of the line and wait for 60 minutes like we did. This situation, and my weakening beer buzz, lead to some tense moments.

    Great line-up this year. Hopefully I'll make it in time to see the Young Widows this year.

    Yeah I am seriously concerned about this too. I bought early bird tickets and will call was my only option for getting them. It has been rumored that they will do something so that if the early birders are in town we can maybe physically get our bands earlier so as to not have to suffer in line. Maybe they could do a friday will call window? One would assume that they'll be people at the park on Friday setting up anyway, or maybe they could do it at waterloo or something.

  10. RE: On-Site

    Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM

    FLATSTOCK!!!!!!!!
    or a mini flatstock
    seriously

  11. RE: On-Site

    Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM

    I think a Tecmo Bowl tournament would be awesome!

  12. RE: On-Site

    Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM

    You should have one of those carnival mock up things where you stick your head on top of a cutout of a famous person's body and have your picture taken. That way everyone could be Danzig For A Day.

  13. RE: On-Site

    Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:38 PM

    tonignosis wrote:
    You should have one of those carnival mock up things where you stick your head on top of a cutout of a famous person's body and have your picture taken. That way everyone could be Danzig For A Day.

    Tell me we get a lock of straight black hair in our faces. Please?

  14. Moderator

    RE: On-Site

    Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:42 AM

    octopi wrote:
    lithographette wrote:
    How about a place to stash yr stuff? Like a coat check but of course, even in November we don't really need coats in Austin. Moshing with a backpack bites. I would gladly plunk down a coupla bucks to ditch it so I can get in the mix.

    I agree, I don't know how safe that would be, but having to lug around a backpack is torture.


    Yeah it would be convenient. I bet you'd have to sign a waiver or something stating the Fest is not responsible for lost / stolen goods.

    Even if Godzilla and Mothra were handling security, you still never know what could happen. Plus, those 2 couldn't get along long enough to actually have a conversation let alone watch your valuables.

  15. RE: Getting In

    Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM

    lithographette wrote:
    shibanski wrote:
    This will be my third FFFF. It's the only festival I'd consider going to, and I've had a good time the past couple years. I have one major suggestion for improvement though - make the Saturday afternoon "check-in" process more efficient and organized. I waited in the willcall line for almost an hour last year (missing the Young Widows set fer fock's sake!) During this time there was a lot of confusion about who needed to be in which line (willcall vs. buy at the door). I watched numerous people skip right to the front of the line - either through an honest mistake or otherwise - and because there weren't enough festival staff on hand it fell upon myself and others in line to inform these people they had to go to the back of the line and wait for 60 minutes like we did. This situation, and my weakening beer buzz, lead to some tense moments.

    Great line-up this year. Hopefully I'll make it in time to see the Young Widows this year.

    Yeah I am seriously concerned about this too. I bought early bird tickets and will call was my only option for getting them. It has been rumored that they will do something so that if the early birders are in town we can maybe physically get our bands earlier so as to not have to suffer in line. Maybe they could do a friday will call window? One would assume that they'll be people at the park on Friday setting up anyway, or maybe they could do it at waterloo or something.


    I would LOVE a Thursday or Friday willcall pick up option. Pretty please can we have one?

  16. RE: Getting In

    Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM

    There was an option last year to pick up wristbands early by a few days, if I remember correctly, at Waterloo. It was easy enough, so they'll probably do it again this year.

  17. RE: Getting In

    Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

    waterbottle wrote:
    There was an option last year to pick up wristbands early by a few days, if I remember correctly, at Waterloo. It was easy enough, so they'll probably do it again this year.


    From a post here:

    The current info on the FFF info page (under the Rules/FAQ tab) says "Box-office opens 9am all 3 days" and "Will call / box-office ticket pick up requires matching I.D.", so maybe they will have it open on Friday for early ticket/wristband pickup....?

  18. Moderator

    RE: Getting In

    Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

    waterbottle wrote:
    There was an option last year to pick up wristbands early by a few days, if I remember correctly, at Waterloo. It was easy enough, so they'll probably do it again this year.


    Did you guys take advantage of early wristband pickup last year? It seemed to really help with the box office lines. Plus we got to meet some of you stellar individuals in person! That's festival gold to us.

  19. Re: On-Site

    Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM

    More lighting by the port-a-potties! When the sun goes down it gets REALLY dark in those things... & they're scary enough in the day time. I wanna be able to actually see what I'm stepping on. Or potentially sitting on.

  20. Re: On-Site

    Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM

    m.holz wrote:

    Did you guys take advantage of early wristband pickup last year? It seemed to really help with the box office lines. Plus we got to meet some of you stellar individuals in person! That's festival gold to us.


    Yeah, I picked mine up early at the Club DeVille parking lot. That worked well enough, I liked not having to wait in line at the fest. I'm of two minds about having the ticket mailed, which I did for FFF '08 (was not offered this year or last) because it's more convenient for me if I don't have to make a special trip downtown for early pickup, but I worry about it getting lost by the USPS. Either way, not having to wait until the day of FFF to pick up tix/wristbands is nice. Thanks!