My first time in Austin.

Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Hey everyone. Me and a friend are coming from New Orleans for our first Fun Fun Fun experience. We're not really sure what to expect and places to hang, late night spots etc. We're also trying to make some new friends while in town so i'm here introducing myself and hoping to hear back from people. Thanks so much! See you all in Noveber!

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM

There's a lot of cool shit to do, appealing to a pretty broad spectrum of interests, so I think it might help to know what bands you're looking forward to seeing, to know what sort of funs to recommend.
    That being said, FOOD TRUCKS. GO TO THE FOOD TRUCKS.

2. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Well i'm super pumped for Dan Deacon, Slayer, Lykke Li, the Misfits, Blond Redhead, Boris, Cannibal Corpse, Four Tet, Flying Lotus, Austra, and Hum!!!!

3. Re: My first time in Austin.

Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Wow you're coming pretty far huh? Well it will be my first offical time in Austin and I know there is tons to do. There's actually a long strip with bars and such in Austin as well. Well I hope you enjoy!

4. Re: My first time in Austin.

Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:20 PM

For just drinking and eating at food trucks, you wanna hit Sixth Street to the east of the highway. There's lots of cool bars over there and a wide variety of food options.
    For after-shows, you're gonna be looking at the Red River St. area. Clubs like Red 7 and The Mohawk will likely be the main after-show places, since they're Transmission clubs.
    I would avoid Sixth Street west of Red River, unless you like partying on Bourbon Street.
    For record stores, start here: http://endofanear.com/; some other places to check out are Waterloo (the big indie) and Trailer Space.
    I don't really know how much time you'll have outside of the FunFunFun and sleeping. There's a ton of thrift and vintage stores, myriad food options all over town (including veg and vegan if that's your preference), some nice parks, the Capitol, the UT campus...

5. RE: My first time in Austin.

Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Hey man, thanks for those tips!
    Same here.. first time in Austin.
    Driving 26 hours straight from Toronto Canada!
    Looking forward to it!

6. Re: My first time in Austin.

Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Can you tell me about some of the Thrift and Vintage Stores? I just got a Ticket for my Birthday yesterday and airfare paid for by my gf. I'm so fucking excited to see Hum! Flying From PHiladelphia.we are headed to Austin 2 days early.

7. Re: My first time in Austin.

Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Thrift: there are around a half dozen Goodwill stores, 2 Savers, and some larger local/regional stores like Thrift Town and Thrift Land. Like most "hip" major cities, the thrifts tend to get pretty picked over and I'm not sure all the best stock ever makes it to the actual sales floor. If you'll have a car, one good thrifting run is to go down south and do a big circle on S. Lamar, Manchaca, Stassney, and South First. You can hit 2 Goodwills, a Savers, Thrift Town, and Thrift Land this way. The Goodwill bin store is on the east side, I think.
    Vintage: my personal favorite is Room Service, on North Loop. There's a couple of other vintage stores nearby on North Loop, and a Savers a little farther west. On South Congress (which is worth a walk down, but not on Thursday because FIrst Thursday is a little too yuppie infested), there's New Bohemia and Uncommon Objects (where you might not spend money, but you'll see lots of crazy things). New Bohemia's "brother store", New Brohemia, is on South First next to End of an Ear, and specializes in men's gear (as the name would suggest). Most of the vintage stores will have a brochure with a map and listing of most of the stores in town.
    I also feel like there's a vintage store vendor set up at the fest itself.

8. Re: My first time in Austin.

Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM

If you like late-night munching swing by Pluckers, Kirby-Lane Cafe, and Home Slice. Good food and prices.

9. Re: My first time in Austin.

Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

it's not my first time in Austin, but it is my first time to be 21 in Austin. That's the most important thing believe me.

10. Re: My first time in Austin.

Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM

This might be your first time in Austin and it definitely won't be your last. You're gonna fall in love with it. Especially coming in November when the weather is nice. Try going to Sixth Street after the concert, or try to find a good party somewhere. And you need to try Torchy's Tacos while you're down here also.

11. Re: My first time in Austin.

Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Yall are awesome. This isn't my post, but it will be my first time in Austin also and these are great suggestions.

I can't wait to find a good bar. And tacos.... mmm.

12. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

This will be my first trip to Austin as well, and so far my biggest worry is whether or not I'll get on the plane to come home. I plan to check out a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread, so thanks a lot.

13. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Howdy to all ya'll Austin first timers! I've only lived here about 7 years, so I haven't come close to seeing and doing all the things Austin has to offer, but here's a few reomendations ... Except for downtown, almost everything you could want/need is south of the river. If ya like tacos, you'll love Torchy's. If ya like burgers, you'll love Mighty Fine or P.Terry's. If ya wanna see some live music after FFF, go to Red River not 6th St (although Dirty Dog on 6th is rad). When ya park, check the parking meters and signs! If ya think ya might get towed then you probably will! If ya wanna watch a game and shoot some pool, go to the Warehouse on Ben White/71. Whip-In at I35 and Oltorf is just fantasic for alcohol needs. If ya don't like sitting in traffic, well... I have no advice on that, you're probably gonna stuck in traffic while you're here.

14. RE: My first time in Austin.

Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Does anyone know anything about any shows going on after the fest ends each night? I know Bane is on tour with Miles Away, so I'm curious as to whether or not they will be playing in Austin! Also thanks for any and every suggestion on here. Its my first time in Austin and I am stoked!

15. Re: My first time in Austin.

Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

South Congress is a must for a stroll into some interesting stores and eateries. This is one of the older parts of town that always has some great establishments (New & Old) gracing it's thoroughfare. The must haves would be getting a Witch Doctor drink from the Big Top Candy Shop, something awesomely fried from Mighty Cone food trailer, Brunch at Enoteca if you can manage the wait, and a walk through Uncommon Objects. Otherwise there are tons of other places to wander into depending on what tickles your fancy.

If you're really on the vintage hunt try this site for more info:
    www.vintagearoundtownguide.com

The "strip of bars" mentioned above is called 6th Street, and is not much of an attraction unless you're 18 and haven't been to many bars in your life. It's where the college co-eds get sloppy drunk on watered down drinks and grind on each other to top 40 pop. There are only a few redeeming establishments here, but you'll likely not be spending much time here anyhow, so I'd leave them for any spare time.

There is an area just West of I35 near 2nd street that we call "Rainy Street" because this is the maid drag in that area. It has some bars that cater to the young-professional yet still hip crowd. You can get cheap beers or well mixed cocktails here, and even some great Indian food at Garaj Mahal (BYOB) food trailer.

The 6th street East of I35 mentioned above is the main drag of what we refer to as "The East Side" This is our gentrifying neighborhood where hipsters have congregated to live and hang out in run down buildings that are slowly being remodeled or developed around. The hipster is very much alive and well in all of Austin though. Tons of dive bars, interesting eateries, food trucks are in this area. Try the Liberty Bar, Shangri La, Cheer Up Charlie's and East Side Show Room (also great food) for your hipster fill. For a quiet hangout, venture up to 11th and check out Blue Dahlia for some good eats and Long Branch Inn for a classic bar feel.
    There will also be a plethora of Pedi Cabs to take you to & from these areas with colorful characters peddling you along the way. You can always ask them for their opinions/suggestions as well. I just wouldn't venture much further north/south than the area between 11th and Cesar Chavez (1st) though. It can get a bit sketchy if you don't know where you're going.

There's also some interesting pockets further North, near campus. "The Drag" refers to Guadalupe street just across from UT where there's a few interesting shops and eateries, but it's definitely geared to college students. And even further North is where you'll find some true dive bars like Uncle Nasty's, Poodle Lounge, and LaLa's where it's Christmas all year 'round. You'll probably need a car if you'll be trying any of these places, but also the bus system is pretty great. Since it's a college town the city has invested a good deal into making sure CapMetro can get students around.

Hope this helps some. Keep asking questions!

16. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

How awesomely informal! I'm heading down from Montana, first time even in Texas as a whole. Super fucking excited.

17. Re: My first time in Austin.

Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I'm bringing two Austin virgins along, too! There's a festival brunch at Austin Java, on Saturday. I think everyone is planning on meeting around 11am. It's a great way to meet some folks that you will no doubt cross paths with at some point during and after the festival. Everyone was super friendly last year.
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Aldous Huxley

~BonnieBlowtorch

18. Re: My first time in Austin.

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Food trailers!!! East 6th is a good spot for tons of food trailers and bars. Have fun everybody!

19. Re: My first time in Austin.

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Three words: Rent a bike!

All the other suggestions have been good. Since you have wristbands, you will likely partake of the Red River district afterparties, but don't forget East Sixth Street area if you are feeling adventurous. (East Side Drive in food trailers, Shangri-La, Liberty, Brixton et al.)
    FUN FUN FUN

boom