Out of Towners

Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Every year I talk to people who tell me they road tripped from great lengths just to attend the fest. So, I figured this could be a nice way for people who are traveling here for the weekend to get in touch with locals to hang with, answer questions, or help assist in couch surfing.

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I'm driving From Decatur, AL. To see Danzig.
    $360 - To see Danzig. Weird?

I'm probably gonna book a Super8 but i wouldn't mind hangin' out with anybody who lives there..

so so

2. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:46 AM

TheFleshClub wrote:

I'm probably gonna book a Super8 but i wouldn't mind hangin' out with anybody who lives there..

so so

I don't find that weird at all. I'm seeing The Jesus Lizard a bunch of times this year and will probably end up spending over $1000 with the plane tickets concert tickets food lodging whatever, but y'know what? When my favorite band of all time gets back together and tours I'm going to be there. I've forced a pal of mine from Milwaukee to come down for FFF, he's flying in.

3. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM

lithographette wrote:
    TheFleshClub wrote:

so so

I don't find that weird at all. I'm seeing The Jesus Lizard a bunch of times this year and will probably end up spending over $1000 with the plane tickets concert tickets food lodging whatever, but y'know what? When my favorite band of all time gets back together and tours I'm going to be there. I've forced a pal of mine from Milwaukee to come down for FFF, he's flying in.

I flew up to Chicago on Valentine's Day weekend specifically because The Godfathers were playing their first and only show on U.S. soil in nearly 20 years. I got a great deal on airfare and hotel [under $300]. That's one of the upsides of the down economy: decent travel is super cheap. I'm taking a couple of trips in December because airfares and hotels are so friggin' cheap right now.

4. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Representing Chicago here...i seriously just found out about this festival an hour ago. Was super hyped since it was the same time I was going to come down to look for an apartment down here...booked a room at the Red Roof Inn, only 60 bucks a night, not too shabby

5. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM

We're comin all the way from Australia

6. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

lithographette wrote:
    TheFleshClub wrote:

so so

I had tickets to see the Lizard at Pitchfork Fest and, 30 minutes before boarding the plane to Chicago, got violently ill and ended up missing the flight, ergo not going to Chicago. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. FFFF will definitely make up for my prior tragedy. If I see you at the fest, we should exchange JL war-stories: I'll be the guy who the JL full-back tattoo.

7. Moderator

RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I'e brought it up before but I'll do it again too. For those of you making the trip to FFF, we encourage you to document your trip. We'd love to highlight all the interesting things you see / encounter along the way!

I think John Madden needs to loan us his bus so we can have a US tour - we'll pick you up - then head down to FFF!

8. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM

brianj wrote:
    Representing Chicago here...i seriously just found out about this festival an hour ago. Was super hyped since it was the same time I was going to come down to look for an apartment down here...booked a room at the Red Roof Inn, only 60 bucks a night, not too shabby

oh yes! someone coming from my area! i just got my tickets for about 230 round-trip. not bad at all.

9. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM

m.holz wrote:
    I'e brought it up before but I'll do it again too. For those of you making the trip to FFF, we encourage you to document your trip. We'd love to highlight all the interesting things you see / encounter along the way!

I think John Madden needs to loan us his bus so we can have a US tour - we'll pick you up - then head down to FFF!

oh yes, this will be very well documented. don't worry. :]

10. RE: Out of Towners

Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM

im coming in from tulsa with one of my roommates. probably leaving 1 am local time friday night, but if someone has a place to crash on saturday, that would be awesome. also wheres good places to party?

11. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Anyone else from Cleveland?

12. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I'm looking for young heterosexual males to stay with me, I have a large bed that will fit all 3 of us and xanbars. It's goin' down! Oh, and I am a male, despite my account status.

13. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Enjoy our fair garden city.

keep your noses clean, steer clear of po's and you'll be fine
    try not to gawk so much at Leslie
    THIS IS AUSTIN NOT LA try to be nice
    Texas Castle laws mean that you can be legally shot for entering someone's property, mistakenly, in the dead of night when you're stinking drunk trying to get back to the crash pad.

Our animosity towards Houston runs deep. deeper than simple big city little city stuff.

When Waterloo, the little village between Shoal and Waller Creeks, was decided upon as the site of the Texas capital in 1839, it would be renamed after Stephen F. Austin, "The Father of Texas," yet the Republic had been already in existence three years. Sam Houston, first and third President, set about undoing what the second Prez, Mirabeau Lamar had established, and in 1941 used the news that a Mexican Army incursion had captured San Antonio to order the State Archives back to the port city for protection. He made Congress convene at Washington-on-the-Brazos, and probably would have enacted legislation to rename his eponymous city the new capital, if it weren't for his meddling former landlady, Mrs. Angelina Eberly. She alerted the town the soldiers were taking the archives in the dead of night by firing off a cannon (her statue sits on Congress by 6th) and the archives were returned without a shot by Austinites. Keepin' 'er weird; it's not just a slogan. It's a way of life.

check out The Texas Archive War.

if you are on twitter you can follow @atx4u @ultra8201 or @austinist, ofc fun ufunfun itself... for free stuff. mmmmmmpanadas food truck i guarantee you will will be there at the fest

14. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Phillip wrote:
    lithographette wrote:
    TheFleshClub wrote:

so so

I had tickets to see the Lizard at Pitchfork Fest and, 30 minutes before boarding the plane to Chicago, got violently ill and ended up missing the flight, ergo not going to Chicago. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. FFFF will definitely make up for my prior tragedy. If I see you at the fest, we should exchange JL war-stories: I'll be the guy who the JL full-back tattoo.

Duuuuuuuuuude

What does a TJL Full back tattoo look like? The logo? The Wheelchair epidemic 7" graphic!?!?!?! I am so intrigued!!!!

15. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Couchsurfing.com , hands down the best

16. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM

I'm driving in from Dallas. If any other Dallas-ites would be interested in car-pooling, I'd be down with that. I'm coming down on Friday and will be leaving Monday afternoon/evening. I'm also picking up a friend from LA at the Austin airport so if anyone else is flying in and needs a ride somewhere, let me know!

Also looking for possible couches to crash on but it has also been suggested that a bunch of people could split the cost of a hotel room. Am thinking that would be a last resort sort of deal, but would be interested to hear from anyone that wants to give that a go, even for just one night or so.....

17. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

lithographette wrote:
    Phillip wrote:
    lithographette wrote:
    TheFleshClub wrote:

so so

Duuuuuuuuuude

What does a TJL Full back tattoo look like? The logo? The Wheelchair epidemic 7" graphic!?!?!?! I am so intrigued!!!!

It was actually something I designed myself. It's centered around a large, crucified hooded lizard, a drink in one hand and a smoke in other, surrounded by a crowd of skeletons in Victorian garb. They toast the lizard as, in the background, the whole shebang goes up in flames. I always figured TJL would be the house-band for the end of the world.

Of all my tats, it's definitely my fave, although it's only about 70% finished...and has been for 10 years, unfortunately. My artist vanished off the face of the earth, so I've been trying to find someone who can finish it up for me.

Ironically enough, I got it the year the boys broke up, before they broke up. David and I both laughed, at the time, that getting the tat was going to jinx them...later that year, I wasn't laughing when it really happened.

18. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Coming up from Victoria, just a hop skip and jump south of Austin. Hope all that are traveling to Fun Fun Fun Fest are safe on their travels.

19. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Incoming from San Francisco. Hellllllz no I'm not driving, though. Jet Blue has non-stop to Austin for just over $200 which seemed to be a good fare considering last time I was in Austin I paid about $350 for a connecting flight on USuck Airways.

Anyone else from the west coast? I'm stoked to see our local boys, Why?

20. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

BallerCraig wrote:
    I'm looking for young heterosexual males to stay with me, I have a large bed that will fit all 3 of us and xanbars. It's goin' down! Oh, and I am a male, despite my account status.

What?