PIP satisfaction?

Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

How do you guys feel about the PIP experience this year? After day one I regret spending the extra cash. Pro - picked up the pack on Thursday and didn't have to wait in the super long line on Friday afternoon. Con - that's the only super long line the PIP pass let me skip. The beer lines are sooo long, but expected. The biggest CON - pizza roles and half a shitty sandwich? Last year the passes were good for food at actually yummy vendors. Gimme your feedback and help me feel a little less ripped off!
"Do not pass me just to slow down
I can move right through you
Do not pass me just to slow down
I have precision auto"

Replies to This Posting

  1. RE: PIP satisfaction?

    Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM

    I'm about as pissed off as I can be. The beer lines are unacceptable, the food was absolutely terrible and the toilets are disgusting and, according to my wife, ran out of TP and were not restocked.

    I will never do PIP again (this is my third time in four years getting it). At this point I don't feel there is much that could be done to salvage the weekend in that regard.

    I would gladly take a refund for the difference because I feel royally screwed.

  2. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM

    Complete crap this year. Unless someone can think of some detail I'm overlooking, I cannot think of a single aspect of PIP that got better this year. The viewing areas are still just as far (and now have no seating), the food has been reduced to the choice between cheese or pepperoni pizza rolls, and all drinks (including water has gone from unlimited to 10 per day).

    The worst part has been the dishonesty with the way the PIP package was sold. This has been marketed all year as one thing, and then 2 days before the festival, the rules are suddenly changed. Did the TABC inform the promoters about these new rules on Wednesday? Funny how the lanyards were printed out with that information in place, and ready on Thursday. Also interesting that the TABC is used as the reason for limiting alcoholic beverages, but then all beverages are suddenly limited as well. Clearly a cost saving measure by the promoters.

    I'll be back next year for the music, but I'll never spend another cent on a "PIP experience".

  3. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

    Food options suck this year but people were bitching last year... as for the drink limit I like it, too many people were giving non PIP people stuff and they were running out, I have been PIP every year and the way I see if when you do that it cheapens the experience... if my friends can not afford beers they can not afford them. Instead this year I hooked my friends up with PIP so they can experience it.

    I do think the lack of seating sucks in the PIP areas but I do not care about it being so far, I came to listen to music not look at the musicians playing it.

    As for the profits... well you never know what fixed costs the promoters are having to deal with. If you think that anyone in any business is not concerned with profits then you need a lesson in capitalism. People work to make money and this is how the promoters make money.
    In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.

  4. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM

    Maybe if I had never done PIP before, I would be happy with this year, but let's compare the PIP last year to this year:
    Price Differencebetween PIP and 3 Day Early Bird Last Year: $150.00 This Year $210.00. Ok cost issues last year. I can deal with that.
    Free Merch Included: Last Year: Sweet backpack or messenger bag from chrome, sunglasses, keychain, koozie, sunglasses band This year: Sweet stanley water bottle, fanny pack, and bandana. The bag was way better last year but we all knew what we were getting when we bought the ticket.
    Beer: Last year: unlimited beer, choices of heineken, tecate, heineken light in a can. This year: Limit to 10 beers, draft and only heineken. I understand the limit, but I was majorly disappointed that we were not notified until the last minute. The badges were printed with 10 beer punches per day so obviouly the 10 beer limit has been known about for a while. The poor beer volunteers with their blistered hands from using hole punches and getting no tips due to the grumpy people who have to wait in long lines due to the slowness of the draft beer and hole punching. Last year you walked up and got a beer. This year you wait 45 minutes in line to get a beer. Honestly, getting 10 beers a day = standing in line all day.
    Water: Last year: free water whenever you wanted it and free vitamin water (or some compareable beverage I can't remember which brand). Available in a PIP areas. This year: give up a beer to get a water and free sweet leaf tea in the orange area only.
    P.I.T.A.

  5. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM

    I agree! I ended up buying half of my beers at the regular beer stands, with a short line, just so I didn't have to run all the way over to the PIP area and wait in a VERY long line while smelling the overflowing toilets!

  6. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM

    I was hoping to hear some positive feedback as well, to help me figure out what I'm missing. I don't mind the limit on how many drinks, I really don't need any more than 10 beers a day. But I only got three yesterday because every time I ran to a PIP area the lines were so freaking long that I wouldn't have time to wait and go see the next band. I'm going to to tally up at the end of the weekend and figure out how much those pizza rolls cost me! I haven't been paying attention, so I didn't know that anything had changed last minute. I reread the details and I still don't see how I could have known about the food being 2 prearranged meals a day. It feels like when we used to go to baseball games or six flags when I was a kid - my mom always packed a crappy lunch and we never got to eat any hot dogs or frosty malts.
    I understand as the fest gets bigger changes and compromises have to be made. FFFF used to be the music festival for people who hate music festivals. RANDOM COMPLAINT: if you are not allowed to bring in drums, why the fuck are hula hoops ok? I figured the no drums thing was a way to keep hippies out. They're just as happy spinning around as they are pretending that they have rhythm. Seeing that yesterday made me think I was at the wrong festival. So what's for lunch?
    "Do not pass me just to slow down
    I can move right through you
    Do not pass me just to slow down
    I have precision auto"

  7. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM

    Seriously felt like I was in a refugee camp inside the orange stage PIP area, waiting in long lines to receive my rations of food and beer with the distinct smell of shit plaguing the air.

  8. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM

    Jesse,

    I work in sales, I completely understand the concept of Capitalism. I understand trying to minimize cost to maximize profit. I think we all assume that the promoters are trying to turn a profit here, that's not the issue.

    The issue is the price went up, and the product quality went down. So, you think 10 beverage limit is a good idea? OK, fair enough. Do you think selling unlimited drinks for about 8 months before the festival, and then announcing this new limit 24 hours before gates open, is OK? How about promoting NEW (their emphasis) viewing areas, which turn out to be the same areas, now without seats. I complained about the food last year because the promoter promised vouchers to any food vendor, and then many food vendors refused to honor them. What was done to increase the value of the ticket, commensurate with it's higher price?

    If you went to McDonald's and ordered and paid for a Big Mac combo, and then got handed a just bag of small fries, would you just chalk it up to the business needing to make a profit?

  9. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM

    We did PIP last year and it was amazing.

    This year - not so much.

    Agree with previous posters - we had to ditch the PIP beer line several times to go buy drinks in much shorter lines.

    Why am I paying extra for what amounts to a sub par experience? We'd actually enjoy the fest more from the non-PIP areas and with non-PIP perks.

  10. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:14 AM

    I'm okay with the beer limit. Even when we had unlimited beer I didn't drink that many.
    The biggest thing for me was the lines seem to have gotten longer however that seems to have been in general. Much more so in the PIP area.I disliked that there was no seating at all in the PIP area. I wish it was closer so for those who would like to see can.
    This is my 4th time going and I've gotten a PIP thing every year this one seems to have been the less enjoyable experience.
    The food to me was not horrible. It was better than eating crappy fast food.

    All in all I went for the music. And the PIP area was less crowded and I saw Run DMC and Santigold so I will not complain so much. Hopefully they can learn from trial and error. Maybe the years to come will be better.

  11. RE: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM

    Complete scam. You would have to drink all 30 beers to just break even since viewing areas are as far back as you can be and there is no value to them, food was inedible, and "extreme leisure" meant overcrowded dusty bathroom area with a few park benches. Mind you regular admission areas had no waits for services like bathrooms. Keep in mind if you waited in line to get 10 beers a day that meant you saw no music cause the lines were 15-30minutes per beer. Clearly they sold too many PIP passes and skimped on the perks. Complete ripoff and I see no reason they should have sold any. Ironically they had press #homie passes that from what i hear involved quick entrance, better food, and stage viewing. Basically what I thought I paid for with PIP. The only right thing to do is to refund at least some of the money back for people who paid for this undelivered product.Today and tomorrow I will pay extra to eat real food, watch from better general admission seats, and pay to not wait in long lines for beer.

  12. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

    ooooomg transmission, u fucked us so bad. SHAME ON YOU.

    But I'm gonna withhold a full rant until the weekend's over, just on the off-chance u realize how bad u fucked us, and you decide to make it right. So far it looks like you used our $ we paid for pip passes, to make the HOMIE pass recipients' experiences better. We did pay you extra money to have a better time, and so far it looks like you're saying, "oh well suckers, fuck you and thanks for your money ". sincerely hope this is not the case.



    "eat shit- 20 trillion flies can't be wrong!"

  13. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

    byrone wrote:
    ooooomg transmission, u fucked us so bad. SHAME ON YOU.

    But I'm gonna withhold a full rant until the weekend's over, just on the off-chance u realize how bad u fucked us, and you decide to make it right. So far it looks like you used our $ we paid for pip passes, to make the HOMIE pass recipients' experiences better. We did pay you extra money to have a better time, and so far it looks like you're saying, "oh well suckers, fuck you and thanks for your money ". sincerely hope this is not the case.



    "eat shit- 20 trillion flies can't be wrong!"


    Byrone lemme make it up to you here is a pizza roll. Oh you want a drink how about you wait here for about 30 minutes. Agreed I look like a dick cause I talked up the PIP to my friends because last year's experience was awesome.

  14. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

    I think the biggest problem is they over sold the PIP. Reminds me of the time my family paid for fast passes at Universal Studios, and they had sold so many, it turned out it was quicker to go through the regular lines.

  15. RE: Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

    slyd wrote:
    byrone wrote:
    ooooomg transmission, u fucked us so bad. SHAME ON YOU.

    But I'm gonna withhold a full rant until the weekend's over, just on the off-chance u realize how bad u fucked us, and you decide to make it right. So far it looks like you used our $ we paid for pip passes, to make the HOMIE pass recipients' experiences better. We did pay you extra money to have a better time, and so far it looks like you're saying, "oh well suckers, fuck you and thanks for your money ". sincerely hope this is not the case.



    "eat shit- 20 trillion flies can't be wrong!"


    Byrone lemme make it up to you here is a pizza roll. Oh you want a drink how about you wait here for about 30 minutes. Agreed I look like a dick cause I talked up the PIP to my friends because last year's experience was awesome.


    We did the same thing. Not only did we convince our friends to buy PIP, but we also got them to FLY here from New England.

  16. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

    I feel like I totally wasted my money. I won't make this mistake again.

  17. Re: PIP satisfaction?

    Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

    acestero wrote:
    Jesse,

    I work in sales, I completely understand the concept of Capitalism. I understand trying to minimize cost to maximize profit. I think we all assume that the promoters are trying to turn a profit here, that's not the issue.

    The issue is the price went up, and the product quality went down. So, you think 10 beverage limit is a good idea? OK, fair enough. Do you think selling unlimited drinks for about 8 months before the festival, and then announcing this new limit 24 hours before gates open, is OK? How about promoting NEW (their emphasis) viewing areas, which turn out to be the same areas, now without seats. I complained about the food last year because the promoter promised vouchers to any food vendor, and then many food vendors refused to honor them. What was done to increase the value of the ticket, commensurate with it's higher price?

    If you went to McDonald's and ordered and paid for a Big Mac combo, and then got handed a just bag of small fries, would you just chalk it up to the business needing to make a profit?


    All I'm saying is that we do not know the full details yet. I agree the food options sucked and I let them know that. I agree the no seating sucks and again let them know that. The drinks is fair because honestly they kept running out in the years past because of people giving the drinks to their non PIP friends I watched it happen blatantly. Plus last year during Slayer I had to bash someone's face against a rail because they were over served and kept messing with my g/f so the drink limit is fully fine by me...

    Maybe just maybe getting Run DMC and Refused to play was a lot more than people thought? I bought PIPs for two friends and they had a blast.. My girl friend and I had a blast yesterday and she was hung over as all hell. Maybe things will get better thru out the weekend?
    In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.