PIP satisfaction?

Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

How do you guys feel about the PIP experience this year? After day one I regret spending the extra cash. Pro - picked up the pack on Thursday and didn't have to wait in the super long line on Friday afternoon. Con - that's the only super long line the PIP pass let me skip. The beer lines are sooo long, but expected. The biggest CON - pizza roles and half a shitty sandwich? Last year the passes were good for food at actually yummy vendors. Gimme your feedback and help me feel a little less ripped off!
"Do not pass me just to slow down
I can move right through you
Do not pass me just to slow down
I have precision auto"

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: PIP satisfaction?

Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

The way I see it. Its $140 more for PIP. In my mind PIP = Beer. You get 30 beers but they're 12oz vs the 16oz at the tents that cost $6. So it would cost $135 for the same amount at the per beer price (tips not included, but you should tip at least $1 whether your beers free or not). So you're paying $5 for free water, some merch you'll never use, viewing areas I never go to and food so bad you end up going to the vendors anyway. If you're absolutely sure you will drink 10 beers/day, its not the worst deal. But all in all, not worth it.

2. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

daquizmaster wrote:
    The way I see it. Its $140 more for PIP. In my mind PIP = Beer. You get 30 beers but they're 12oz vs the 16oz at the tents that cost $6. So it would cost $135 for the same amount at the per beer price (tips not included, but you should tip at least $1 whether your beers free or not). So you're paying $5 for free water, some merch you'll never use, viewing areas I never go to and food so bad you end up going to the vendors anyway. If you're absolutely sure you will drink 10 beers/day, its not the worst deal. But all in all, not worth it.

Exactly. Honestly if the viewing areas were indeed the "best" as they advertised, it would have been fine, but that alone was the scam of it all. Not to mention at one of the 3 stages (yellow) there was no PIP viewing tent at all so for say David Cross even with a PIP badge you couldnt even get in close enough to stage to see his face (and no TVs to show performer).

10 beers a day for 3 days is a lot to drink JUST to break even. PIP should have been extra $50 MAYBE. Truly felt ripped off and that they should be held accountable to false advertising.

3. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Damn thanks for sharing. I bought one this year but had to sell it due to medical reason. However I did feel as if it wasn't going to be worth the price. From the pictures I saw, the pip viewing stations didn't look to be very good. Won't be buying a pip ticket next year.

4. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I too felt disappointed. The beer was pretty much the incentive for me as well, and because it was sold as "until we run out" and then changed to "30 over 3 days" just two days before the event, it really came off like a bait and switch. I get that TABC have their rules and you don't really want to go up against them-but I'm pretty sure they knew the rules well in advance-not a couple days before the event.

I think if I were to get a PIP pass in the future it would need to have some sort of real value add. As for what was there, aside from the beer math mentioned above that comes out to just under a wash:

The viewing station: wasn't really that useful, but then I'm vertically gifted so I have no problem seeing the band from wherever I stand.

The meals: meh. I can't look down at free food(not technically free since I did pay for the PIP pass, but let's not get into semantics), which wasn't bad, but when there's food trailers all over the grounds serving up hot food, it feels a little weird to be eating a pre-wrapped sandwich when the person next to you is eating chicken waffle tacos.

The swag: A fanny pack, water bottle and bandana. Moving on...

And that's about it. The separate areas just had slightly more exclusive port-a-potties and faster beer lines. Not really a selling point.

Ultimately, it felt as if all PIP was is just pre-paying for your beer and food. Unlike beer that you can buy at the vendors, you can only carry one around the grounds at a time and you can't buy it for your friends.

That being said: I still had a great time, and will almost certainly get a 3 day pass for next year(after I see the lineup of course).

5. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

horrible. i feel pretty bamboozled by the whole experience. first year to buy them and will definitely be the last. 350 bucks to wait in longer lines, eat shittier food and get small cups of beer. they tried the last 2 days to make it better but didn't do much. the sad thing is almost everyone i talked to all have the same complaints. funfunfunfest, you guys blew it pretty bad this year. super disappointing. what happened to the screenprinted poster we didn't get as well....??????? the more i think about it the more angry i become. i just hope they do something to make it right at some point.
    jeremy

6. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The same thing happened in 2010 as well... the seating and food is where the ball was dropped. But we do not know what happened with the vendors or how that is working out anyway. I can say that if there is going to be served food like in 2010 Chipotle is a better option than those nasty sandwiches.

I liked the seating areas from 2011 on the PIP decks.

I spent most of my time by the black stage so the PIP area over there was fine.

But I'm not uber disappointed I had 4 PIPs and I got to bring two friends that otherwise would not have been able to go to the fest let alone get the swag and beers so that was a good feeling.

But keep in mind with the "punk" feel to the festival can't expect PIPs to be treated like prince's and princesses. I was comped VIP to Lolla this year and its a big corporate event and it was really nice but without the comp it was like 2500 for the VIP stuff and the hotel. When you put it into perspective it wasn't THAT terrible for the price.
    In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.

7. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

While, the food was just OK, I did't find myself full and uncomfortable. I'm sure it was nearly impossible for them to change the caterers after the complaints.

The beer situation was fine after all said and done. I'm glad they listened to our complaints about the water and teas and such (never should have happened but they did make it right the next day and the remainder of the weekend. I didn't end up drinking 30 beers as I didn't expect it to be so hot and I ended up drinking a ton of water to stay hydrated.

The PIP viewing decks could be a tad closer OR at least maybe put some TV's on the decks and or big projection screens on the sides of the stage next year to help us see. Covering the viewing decks more on top would be great as well.

PIP entrance or something at both sides would be nice. It was a pain to have to walk the entire park after the night was over.

The people on the golf carts were churning dust up left and right and nearly hitting people. probably not much can be done about that.

I will do the Fx4 festival next year, and I most likely will get the PIP again.

As much as I can complain about the new procedure, I do have to give at least some compliments about them listening to us and making the changes they could.

8. RE: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

2nd Year at FFF. This time with PIP badges. Shorter and Faster PIP lines at entrance? We waited 45 minutes to get in the gate while the 'regular' entrance was completely empty! Damn, noticing the PIP line is also getting VERY long. Surprising how many people have PIP badges.

Walked up to Orange Stage PIP entrance, and porta pottys already smelling like Sh!t leaking, and beers being served in cups?? Checked out the food table and its pizza rolls? I'm feeling scammed by now..

Moved over to the Blue stage and the PIP viewing area is still in the same location, but the 'HOMIE' stage looks dope. Oh, these badges are not for that? Up on the blue stage platform and cant see past the 'right' stage because the damn sound booth is completely blocking the view!!!??? wtf! My vocabulary is starting dwindle down to words that starts with an 'F'.

9. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

1st year at FFFF and in Austin. After a less than stellar experience with VIP at Riot Fest in Chicago this year, I was hoping this would blow it away. Unfortunately, it did not. Especially with the last minute changes to the package shenanigans.

This is just like the episode of South Park where Cartman is pissed because he hates waiting in line so he bought a pass to skip the lines only to found out he now has to wait in that line.

I never really experienced 15-30 minute waits in the beer line but I also only ended up using half of my allotted beers. And this might sound crazy, but when it was unlimited, I was fine with drinking that few as I'm not a super heavy drinker but it's nice to know it's there (On the other hand, unlimited beer is how I sold my wife on the ticket). But now that there's a finite number and specific price associated with it, I feel like I got cheated because I didn't drink them all. My own fault, I guess. Still saw plenty of people handing out beers to NON-PIP but not really sure what the answer is there.

Same deal with the food. We only used half our 'tickets'. Extremely disappointed to see the Pizza Rolls (might as well be called dough balls) make another appearance Sunday. Aside from Sandwiches the first night (which we skipped) not even sure what dinner was for the rest of the festival because it was too much of a pain to try to fight the crowds that seemed to all be exiting from stages at the same time into one tiny choke point of the orange PIP entrance. Don't really understand why food wasn't served in both areas to alleviate some of this.

"Areas of extreme leisure" I must've missed these. Surely these are not the few picnic tables scattered around the cramped PIP 'lounges'? Maybe it was the 'bath room attendant'. Riot Fest completely one upped them here, providing a ton of chairs along with a nice shady wide open area to put them in, not all claustrophobic next to the portapotties.

Luckily, I don't have to pee sitting down so the bathroom problem didn't really bother me but my wife wised up and brought her own TP the second day. Also not really sure why there were only something like 20 portapotties total for the PIP sections, especially knowing how many PIP tickets they sold?

Viewing decks were lame as well but honestly not really a problem as I prefer getting up close anyway, though I'm not really sure how more than 10 people at a time could've enjoyed the view. Shade would've been great. The little amount of time I did spend up there involved sitting in the back and constantly scooting over to avoid the sun. I would've much rather enjoyed getting to view from the side of the stage as I've heard went on previously.

However, I can understand how that wasn't possible because it seemed like they sold more PIP tickets than regular admission.

Will I be back next year? Possibly, depending on the line up. Austin was pretty damn awesome, the bands were great. Aside from the PIP debacle, I had a pretty awesome time.

Will I get PIP again? Hell no. Fool me once and all that.

Should I assume that the Limited Edition Lithograph originally included with the PIP ticket will just be mailed to me at a later date or are we just going to pretend that never happened and edit it out of the details?

10. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Well, the beer thing was definitely okay after they switched to cans. The lines weren't as long after that, and dust in the beer wasn't as big of a deal. Also, I never really waited in much of a line for the bathroom, and that's saying something since I accomplished my goal of 'no beer left behind.' However, I did skip off to the non-PIP potties when there was a line. Plus, there was more (still not enough) TP the second and third days; so, thanks.

Food... no way, man. Not cool. I know last year, there were some problems with food, but come on! I could go buy a chicken waffle for $5.00. You can't tell me that 1/2 sandwich or those pizza dongs were worth what we were told our meals were in that email. Also, let me eat when I want to eat. It felt like a field trip or a planned vacation. Please don't do that... ever.

I don't care much about the viewing decks since I'm only 5' tall. Unless I'm right up front (not my style) I can't see anyway; I'd rather stand back on the hill, but don't tell me they improved from last year. They were basically in the exact same place only without the mod furniture.

Sell less PIP tickets. I'd gladly pay more to actually have the experience like last year with tasty food and bunches of beer and cool swag as well as less people. It's not PIP if over half of the people attending have it, and the ones that don't have it only don't because they aren't old enough to drink. The tickets were more expensive this year, and there is no doubt in my mind that the value was WAY less this year. I cannot express how strongly I got the feeling that PIP was an afterthought.

My REAL complaint is the seemingly unnecessary golf-cart usage. I'm not saying they weren't really being used, but it certainly seemed aimless a lot of the time, especially their incessant entrance and exit to and from the PIP area. That was ridiculous. I couldn't freakin' leave the place without being shoved out of the way so that some hipster and his dirty friend could swirl up dust into my beer. Make some golf cart lanes or a separate golf cart entrance, please. This isn't the first year that has happened, but this year was WAY worse with the entitled golf cart brigade. (excluding the medical cart, of course)

Chels

11. RE: PIP satisfaction?

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

This year was a complete disaster in every respect. The blatant false advertising is what pisses off the most. How the fuck can they advertise one thing and then not deliver on it without compensation? All of you that are "ok with the 30 beers thing" need to be slapped in the face. It's not about the number of beers, it's about LYING. Not to mention the lithographs we never got and a number of other things. It's about making a contract with a consumer and not delivering on it.

I honestly think there should be a class action lawsuit.

12. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

drinkalcohol wrote:
    I honestly think there should be a class action lawsuit.

That might be a bit much, but it certainly feels like they are exposing themselves to that sort of thing. At the very least apologies are in order.

13. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I was also completely underwhelmed by the PIP (more like RIP) experience this year.

"Improved" viewing areas and areas of "extreme leisure": I can't think of one aspect of the viewing decks that was improved. Same locations as last year and no furniture. Picnic tables were pretty much the same as last year.

The food: What a drastic change for the worse. Why can't the vendors just agree to a cap on the food tickets like last year? Restricting the food to lunch and dinner times, then adding insult to injury by serving it at the orange PIP area when it smelled like shit for the entire first day was a really really poor decision.

PIP Areas: Obviously the biggest complaint for most people is that the orange PIP area was essentially useless the entire first day due to the horrible miasma emanating from the porta-potties.

Beer: the last-minute beer changes were also pretty crappy but by no means my biggest beef. They clearly knew about the changes long before they actually announced them so why wait until the last minute to notify people? 30 beers over 3 days is still a value, but when you calculate tipping in it's definitely not as good as say last year. I can live with the changes, but next year please don't sell it as, "unlimited."

In general, there just seemed to be more PIPs this year which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you've planned properly... unfortunately the first day they were clearly understaffed. I definitely appreciated the efforts that were made after day one to correct some of these issues, but it really felt like too little too late. My friends and I have always gone PIP in previous years, but after this year literally no one I know is planning to go PIP next year. I love FFF, but this year was just a train wreck for PIP.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett

14. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I want a refund for the difference in ticket prices for two 3-day regular tickets and the two 3-day PIP tickets I purchased. I feel more and more mislead and cheated by the marketing and management of this event. I want my money back, now please.
    Gwyneth1001

15. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Nancy Hartsfield wrote:
    I want a refund for the difference in ticket prices for two 3-day regular tickets and the two 3-day PIP tickets I purchased. I feel more and more mislead and cheated by the marketing and management of this event. I want my money back, now please.
    Gwyneth1001

Did you actually go speak with them like they asked? They were offering that as an option...

16. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I managed to chug all 30 beers! I WIN!!!!
    -Adam Noble Bass

17. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM

gluckett wrote:
    Nancy Hartsfield wrote:
    Gwyneth1001

Did you actually go speak with them like they asked? They were offering that as an option...

No; however had I known about thoffer, I would have taken them up on it. I am a first-timer and was not monitoring this site... Nor did I have access to anything or anyone who knew much about the event. I guess I can call it "lesson learned". Most likely, I will not return. Thank you for your response.
    Gwyneth1001

18. Re: PIP satisfaction?

Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM