If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Hey Fun Fun Fun guys.... my amazing son just happens to turn 16 on November 2nd. He's been a staple at FFF since the very first one! Every year (since the date moved to November) I buy him his ticket for his birthday & he asks everyone else to give him cash, so he can blow it all at the fest. He's grown up with the fest & has turned all of his friends on to it over the years. He's now in a pretty amazing punk band (2, actually - Growingman & The Antialls) & I know that FFF had a hand in his love of music & introducing him to bands he might not have experience otherwise.

Wouldn't it be cool if this year he could have his sweet 16 AT THE FEST?!? His friends will already be there. His brother & I will be there. Add in some balloons & a cake & hey... it's a party!

So tell me.... what do we have to do to make this happen? I mean... if y'all can do a wedding on stage.....

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

boys have "sweet 16" seems very odd and idk not manly to me... -5

2. RE: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

dude, that sounds awesome. love the story about your son! i want to see this happen also!

3. RE: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Who would have thought you would have had SO much negativity spewed at this?!

I'm guessing most of the people dogging on this idea, either don't have kids, or are just plain jealous. As far as reading comprehension goes, I have read this as a simple request to bring a cake in. Not for free tickets, nor money. And I have also comprehended a legacy of sorts being passed down to the younger generation. Which is a damn cool thing. Think about it, this kid could be listening to Bieber or other equally craptastic shite of that nature, instead he is maturing with and $upporting the fest.

For the gal that had her wedding at FunFunFun, just because you haven't received anything for your birthday for the last 10 years, doesn't mean this boy shouldn't have his cake and eat it, too. Also, I'm happy you were able to have your special day at the festival, but a cake doesn't register as " this just has MTV written allllll over it." Also, I suggest you do a Google search for MTV weddings. Just sayin'.
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Aldous Huxley

~BonnieBlowtorch

4. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM

We all know Andrea has mad cake sills, too!!
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Aldous Huxley

~BonnieBlowtorch

5. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Oh, hell, Bonnie......... I totally missed all the negative posts & now they seem to have been removed. Apparently we don't get notifications when someone replies to a forum post? Or at least, I haven't! I visited this just yesterday & there were no comments. Now today I see this. What did they say??? (private msg me, if you want)

FOR THE RECORD..........

1. As Bonnie said, I'm really only looking for permission to have a cake on site for my kid & maybe a spot for us to do the whole "cake thing" at.
    2. Not sure what the "MTV" reference was about (since I never saw the original comment), but I can assure you that I fucking hate MTV, as do my kids, & the last thing any of us want is anything to do with ANY tv camera... MTV or otherwise.
    3. To the person who made the comment about "sweet 16" being not manly.... Are you kidding me? It's a saying! A phrase... hell, even sarcasm, really. Was it really worth the 2 minutes of your day that it took to post that on here?

Look, people... my boys & I will be at this fest either way, just like we are every year. With tickets that I purchase, myself, through the long hours & hard work I do every single day. I don't ask for anything from anyone, ever. I don't go looking for handouts. And, quite frankly, when I posted this I didn't even really expect to ever hear anything back from anyone "official"... but, hey... it never hurts to ask. When I found out this year's fest was kicking off on my kids birthday, I thought it would be cool as hell if he could actually celebrate at FFF. And, yeah... he still could (& will), but then I was talking with a friend who said, "Too bad they wouldn't let you bring in a cake or something." And that's when I thought... hmmm.... why not ask?

My boys are my world. They kick MUCH ass (just ask many of the FFF veterans who've met them over the years). As a single mom I work my ass off to be able to give them opportunities & the life I feel they deserve. It is BEYOND me why anyone would want to come on here & bash me (or my kids) for just having the balls to ask a simple question, in the hopes of giving my kid a cool surprise for his birthday.

I'm sorry that your lives are so lonely & meaningless that you have nothing better to do than assume negative things & rail on others who are doing nothing more but enjoying themselves & trying to help someone else to do the same.

6. RE: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I think its a great idea as I said previously on the facebook post, seems like it would be a cool thing for a birthday, surrounded by friends, family, music and good times!

7. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I should have clarified that the negativity was posted on FB. So I copied & pasted what I posted there, here. It was mainly a few people and the bride from the wedding last year, who misread what you posted and got their panties in a wad, so I felt the need to clarify for you. Sorry, I wasn't feeling well yesterday and being someone who works with kids for a living, I take people trying to piss on their parades seriously.

~BonnieBlowtorch

8. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

https://www.facebook.com/funfunfunfest

Scroll down a bit.

~BonnieBlowtorch

9. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Wait, wait, wait..... FACEBOOK POST?????
    How the hell did this get on Facebook? Please direct me there.

10. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Never mind. Found it.
    What is WRONG with people?

11. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

MandyStroyer wrote:
    Never mind. Found it.
    What is WRONG with people?

Yeah not sure, seems like people want to ruin everyone else's happiness sometimes instead of just you know doing something that would make them happy. That is a lot of energy spent on negativity.

12. Re: If there can be a wedding, why not a sweet 16?

Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

If it does not impede on my drinking i have no issue.