Decision Time

Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Every festival you have at least one moment in which each limb is tied to a different stage, pulling you in four opposite directions. The pain of such over extension is devastating and will leave your innards scarred forever.

That being said, what decision are you least looking forward to you? Which side of your heart will be left with a meaningless--even worse--acousticless void and which side will be ready for peace in the world?

I personally am giving into El Ten Eleven over Minus the Bear. But I had to note my slight hesitation and overall disgruntled nature towards scheduling these two at the same time.
What I actually can't decide on is if I should see Doug Benson or Octopus Project? I could always see thirty minutes of Benson then twenty of Octopus. But I'm thinking of skipping Benson all-together. What are my odds of seeing him at Alamo?

Please do tell. What cull will consume your soul with fear and doubt?

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I'm at a standstill on deciding between Fucked Up, De La Soul, and Explosions In The Sky.

Conflicts drive me nuts.

2. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Danny Brown or Wavves
    Explosions in the Sky, De La Soul or Fucked Up
    Those are the only 2 conflicts that really stick out.

3. RE: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The most painful part of the schedule for me is that Diamond Rugs are during Refused. I won't miss any part of the Refused set, so that means I will miss DR completely, and I've been really into that record. Some of the other, more minor, conflicts are:
    Minus the Bear vs Tomahawk
    Torche vs Cursive
    Cheap Girls vs Ume

4. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I've got some overlaps:Titus Andronicus/The Promise Ring, Wavves/NoMeansNo, etc. that I'll have to figure out, but the worst for me is OFF!/Surfer Blood. I'm leaning toward Surfer Blood, who I saw open for the Pixies and was super impressed. I saw OFF! open for Refused, and they were awesome, but I'm thinking that they will pretty much be the same as the first time I saw them. Of course, I could drive to Jacksonville before FFF Fest and see OFF! again (with the added HUGE bonus of seeing Negative Approach again).

Friday Nites is a real mess for me, too. Scott Reynolds/Lucero/Deathfix/Fight Amp/Surfer Blood all at the same time. Ugghhhhh.

5. RE: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

FFUUUUUUUUgde cakes...

I can't decide between ARAABMUZIK or LAGWAGON

My boyfriend never heard of Lagwagon and we both know of araabmuzik

But I used to jam Lagwagon back in my HS days here and there... and would love to relive my young punk rock days

I dont know what to do!!

6. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Blaghen wrote:
    Every festival you have at least one moment in which each limb is tied to a different stage, pulling you in four opposite directions. The pain of such over extension is devastating and will leave your innards scarred forever.

That being said, what decision are you least looking forward to you? Which side of your heart will be left with a meaningless--even worse--acousticless void and which side will be ready for peace in the world?

I personally am giving into El Ten Eleven over Minus the Bear. But I had to note my slight hesitation and overall disgruntled nature towards scheduling these two at the same time.
    What I actually can't decide on is if I should see Doug Benson or Octopus Project? I could always see thirty minutes of Benson then twenty of Octopus. But I'm thinking of skipping Benson all-together. What are my odds of seeing him at Alamo?

Please do tell. What cull will consume your soul with fear and doubt?

Im sure you already knew but Doug Benson is also performing one of the NITES performance SAt night at the alamo draft house on 6th... that way you can see both if you can

7. Re: Decision Time

Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm personally struggling with Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group and Jon Benjamin. The Mars Volta are one of my favorite bands and Omar tends to just have TMV play and bill it as Omar. But Archer is such a hilarious show; Jon Benjamin is a riot! So do I leave Omar early?? HMMM, discuss...

8. Re: Decision Time

Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

you could always see Omar in a Festival environment. Jon Benjamin perhaps not

9. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM

logan.rich wrote:
    The most painful part of the schedule for me is that Diamond Rugs are during Refused. I won't miss any part of the Refused set, so that means I will miss DR completely, and I've been really into that record. Some of the other, more minor, conflicts are:
    Minus the Bear vs Tomahawk
    Torche vs Cursive
    Cheap Girls vs Ume

That's how I am with El Ten Eleven and Minus the Bear. El Ten is my all time favorite band while Infinity Overhead is my jam. So it definitely hurts but there really is no question for me.

I vote Danny Brown, Cheap Girls, Araabmuzik, Explosions, Titus, Cursive, Omar, and Surfer Blood because I'll be at all of these shows :] Though some are tough and I'll have to peace out of a couple of them early. I especially vote to see Omar in a festival environment!

10. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM

penelope17 wrote:
    Im sure you already knew but Doug Benson is also performing one of the NITES performance SAt night at the alamo draft house on 6th... that way you can see both if you can

Yeah I'm just not sure what my odds of getting in to see him at the Alamo. But with Black Moth playing at Mohawk at the same time I think I'll be able to make it so that's the route ima take and just close the shores with Black Moth on Sunday :-)

11. Re: Decision Time

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

de la soul vs eits
    rakim vs btbam

hip-hop or bands??

12. Re: Decision Time

Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:35 AM

I'm a big De La fan, but they are dreadful live. Go see Fucked Up.

13. Re: Decision Time

Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM

De La Soul vs Explosions in the Sky vs Atlas Sound. I saw Atlas Sound at Denton 35 last year, and the the year before at ATP in England. I loved both of the sets and really like that it's an intimate show with just him on stage. I have also heard that Explosions in the sky puts on a good show, and would love to finally see De La Soul. I'm leaning twords Atlas Sound for now.
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra

14. Re: Decision Time

Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I've seen EITS, Atlas Sound and Fucked Up. Unless you're in a super chill mood, I'm going Fucked Up every time. I like De La Soul a good bit, but I don't tend to like rap/hip hop nearly as much live, with a few exceptions.

15. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM

The majority of the few hip hop shows that I've seen have been great. I've seen Big Boi twice and one of those two times was fantastic, the other seemed like it has half of an Outkast concert. I've also seen the Roots 3 times and they're always putting on a perfect show. On the other hand, Snoop Dog was terrible. He only played a handfull of songs and seemed pissed off at the crowd. Most of his time on stage was spent repeating the words, "smoke weed, get drunk and (have sex)".
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra

16. Re: Decision Time

Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

My experiences have been hit or miss. Public Enemy and The Roots are always amazing, Cypress Hill is usually pretty good, Ice Cube has been awful more often than not when I've seen him, Arrested Development was pretty dull live and the last time I saw De La (in '96, I think), the show wasn't great. Most of the really good hip-hop shows I've seen lately have been indie rappers, like Fat Tony last year at the fest and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at Sasquatch a few years back. And yeah...I've never seen a good Snoop Dogg show, unfortunately, even though I love the guy.

17. RE: Decision Time

Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Ha I feel ya. I've opened for El Ten twice and Octopus once and I still chose them over many others. Even waited for EITS 3 hours early to be up front, despite it being my 7th time seeing them. Much love for those guys.

18. Re: Decision Time

Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM